Chartered Physiotherapist & Pilates Instructor
Joanne Gilshan Bsc (Hons) MCSP HCPC
Mat Pilates Classes & Private 1:1s
Fully equipped studio
JO at GLOW
Joanne Gilshan Bsc (Hons) MCSP HCPC
Chartered Physiotherapist and Certified Pilates instructor
* 1994-1997: Graduated from the University of Bradford with a love of curry and a 2:1 honours degree
* 1997: Worked in the NHS in the UK and then over in Australia before returning to the UK to specialise in musculo-skeletal outpatients and settle into private practice
* 2004: Fell in love with pilates and began training with the APPI and subsequently Polestar Pilates. I am now certified in both mat and studio pilates (reformer, chair, trapeze, ladder-barrel)
* 2010: Moved to Hertfordshire and opened our Glow Physio & Pilates studio
* 2014: Began training in Myo-Fascial Release (MFR) - a gentle and effective soft tissue technique used to address pain and scarring throughout the body. The in-depth training through MFR UK has given me great insight into how the body responds to both physical and emotional trauma and how this reflects in our physical being. A fascinating subject
* 2019: And last but by no means least, in 2019 I enrolled onto a mentorship programme with Pro-Sport Academy. The 'gotophysio' mentorship is run by Professional Sport Physiotherapist Dave O' Sullivan and focuses on assessment and rehab using a graded exposure programme. The mentorship is ongoing and is proving invaluable. The core principles of the system can be applied to treating anyone and everyone, young and old and applied to sporting and non-sporting injuries. The results so far have been remarkable
* 2020: So that's Jo at Glow! If you want to understand your body, the root cause of your problem and how we can work to change this then you are in the right place! Let's get started....
"Take care of your body, it's the only place you have to live"
On your first visit you will undergo a full assessment to help diagnose your problem. From here Jo can identify areas which need addressing and create a bespoke treatment plan.
This will be a combination of hands on treatment and rehabilitation often including our Pilates equipment.
We work on finding the root cause of the problem so once the initial symptoms have settled we can get down to business by working on the underlying cause.
We liaise closely with other health care professionals and doctors to ensure continuity of care.
Those with private health care insurance are very welcome.
Initial assessment 55 minutes £65
Follow up sessions 45 minutes £53
At Glow Physio & Pilates we home a reformer, a trap tower, a chair and a spine corrector barrel. These wonderful pieces of kit were originally designed by Joseph Pilates himself. He was a hard task master putting his clients through their paces but he designed an awesome repertoire of exercises which continue to be taught to this day.
Whether you want Pilates for fitness & conditioning or are recovering from an injury then Jo will create a bespoke programme tailored to your individual needs.
Individual 55 minute session £65
Block of 5 sessions £315
Block of 10 sessions £600
Our mat classes are offered from our Pilates studio at Mid-Herts Golf Club.
Mondays & Fridays
Bookable as a course
"Enjoy your body, use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it, or what others think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own."
What the patients have to say....
"I've been attending mat classes with Glow Physio for the last 10 years and I truly believe it's the sole reason I don't suffer with any niggles/aches/pains. 2020 brought us online Zoom Pilates classes and I wasn't sure how these would work. But they do! Jo is fantastic at communicating online and keeps a very close eye on us - always correcting our cheats! Thanks Glow Physio for keeping me moving throughout 2020 when I have needed it more than ever." PL
" Jo marries her expertise as a Physio with an extensive portfolio of exercises drawn from Pilates and functional movement. She has helped me tackle long term deep seated physical issues. My life has been transformed and movement is now a joy. I can't recommend her highly enough." MM
"I was 60 before I tried Pilates for a sore back. I wish I had started earlier particularly with a teacher like Jo who is so encouraging and patient in both 1:1's and in group classes." MP
“ My daughter and I are so so lucky to have been introduced to this highly trained, professional and gentle lady. Jo's skills and knowledge around Myo-fascial release (MFR) have relieved pain and tension that for years have been attributed to another health condition and therefore apparently unresolvable. Jo has given huge relief, mentally and physically. She is equally careful when the cause of pain is unclear and offers guidance to the right medical tests for diagnosis before she starts treatment. We couldn’t be more grateful for her help. ” KC
“I have been having one-to-one Pilates tuition from Jo for several years now and hugely benefit from exercising safely and correctly. My whole body is definitely less stiff, stronger, more balanced and the lower back pain troubling me for years significantly minimised. If problems arise, with Jo's physio and Myo-fascial release (MFR) expertise, she is able to alleviate those too. I would strongly recommend her Pilates tuition and treatments.” FH
“Pilates is just for women right? Well as far as I know men are equally prone to becoming less flexible as they get older. Certainly in my case. The Tuesday evening classes are an hour long led by Jo. In the last 6 months, I can feel the difference. Picking up a pen off the floor used to feel like a surgical procedure, and is now effortless…. thanks Jo.” RC
"I came to Jo originally for Myo-Fascial Release (MFR) but what attracted me to her in particular was her multi disciplinary qualifications. I cannot recommend her highly enough and she has freed the parts of my body that years of Pilates just couldn't touch. MFR is something that really has to be experienced to be understood and for me it has transformed the way I relate to my body. The benefits have been immeasurable and Jo has taught me the importance of 'letting go'." MM
“I have been attending Pilates Classes with Jo for several years now and find the classes very gentle, but at the same time you can certainly feel the improvement at the end of the class as you use every part of your body. I particularly feel the difference when I have missed a few classes through holidays or work. Jo always asks if anybody has a particular problem and makes sure that you all work within your limits and yet still allows you to push your own boundaries. There is a tremendous feeling of well-being after a class that certainly gives you a glow.” DVB